Monday, January 26, 2009

Keys to acceptable Worship

Sunday Sermon
January 25, 2009
Rhema Community Church

Sermonic Skeleton:

Sermonic Scripture: ESV Amos 5:24 But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Sermonic Sentence: Social justice is connected to Spiritual judgment.

Sermonic Tension: What I do in the street is inextricably tide to what I do in the sanctuary.
My social life is joined at the hip to my spiritual life. (Not all worship is accepted by God.
God has a standard for worship.)

Sermonic Help: JUSTICE in a general sense, the practice of giving reward or punishment for what is rightly due to a person or group of people. From a theological perspective, because God is sinless and holy, the justice of God demands that all persons and nations receive punishment because of their sin. In Christ, the requirements of divine justice are met, and as a result, individuals can find mercy from God through Jesus Christ as the Holy Spirit draws them and convicts them of sin. In light of God’s own just dealings with humankind, God also demands that humans deal justly with one another (Mt 23:23) and seek to release those under oppression, whether because of ethnic origin, gender or sociopolitical status (Isa 58:6).

RIGHTEOUSNESS an attribute of God’s being; God’s right and just character, actions and judgments. God’s righteousness as understood in a covenantal context includes God’s right judgment of both God’s own people and those who oppress them, as well as God’s salvation and mercy extended to those to whom the covenanting God has promised to be faithful. Righteousness and salvation are summed up in and provided for all those who believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. By extension, righteousness denotes the type of life that ought to characterize Jesus’ disciples. Believers are to “imitate” God and thereby become righteous in life just as God is righteous.

Sermonic Cross Reference: NLT Isaiah 1:11-17 "I am sick of your sacrifices," says the LORD. "Don't bring me any more burnt offerings! I don't want the fat from your rams or other animals. I don't want to see the blood from your offerings of bulls and rams and goats. 12 Why do you keep parading through my courts with your worthless sacrifices? 13 The incense you bring me is a stench in my nostrils! Your celebrations of the new moon and the Sabbath day, and your special days for fasting-- even your most pious meetings-- are all sinful and false. I want nothing more to do with them. 14 I hate all your festivals and sacrifices. I cannot stand the sight of them! 15 From now on, when you lift up your hands in prayer, I will refuse to look. Even though you offer many prayers, I will not listen. For your hands are covered with the blood of your innocent victims. 16 Wash yourselves and be clean! Let me no longer see your evil deeds. Give up your wicked ways. 17 Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows.

Sermonic Structure:

I. MY WORSHIP BECOMES ACCEPTABLE TO GOD WHEN I USE THE KEY OF JUSTICE
(But let justice roll down like waters,)

II. MY WORSHIP BECOMES ACCEPTABLE TO GOD WHEN I USE THE KEY OF RIGHTEOUSNESS (and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.)

5 comments:

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

My God the wait was worth it Reverend, "what I do in the street is tied to what I do in the sanctuary", I am on the floor shaking uncontrollable. Confirmation!

Bless you,

Owens

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

What a Word my brother. You have truly inspired me with such an awesome treatment of the text. Preach Preacha!!!!

Clinton Smith said...

Good outline Sir! Amen to hard work of preaching and pastoring.

Unknown said...

Professor another great one for the books. Man what a timely message and well thought through outline.

Keep hammering away Ron.
Praying with you brother.

Tony R.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Great outline doctor. Please show me how to get into the batcave!!! You are a preaching machine. I am always encouraged by your sermonic expressions. Thanks Ronald

Lance