Monday, August 17, 2009

Change

Sunday Sermon
August 16th 2009
Rhema Community Church

Sermonic Skeleton

Sermonic Pericope: ESV Galatians 1:13-24 For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. 14 And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, 16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. 20 (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!) 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23 They only were hearing it said, "He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they glorified God because of me.

Sermonic Theme: Saved & Set Free (The Doctrine of Saving Grace)

Sermonic Subject: Justified by Faith not by works

Sermonic Tension: People always try to take credit or try to discredit what God has done.

Sermonic Question: Do you want to change?

Sermonic Sentence: Christ Jesus has the power to change you.

Sermonic Help: JUSTIFICATION from the Hebrew sadeq, the Greek dikaioo and the Latin justificare, “to justify,” “to pronounce, accept and treat as just.” In theology, God’s pardoning sinners and restoring them to a state of righteousness. Paul develops the doctrine of justification by faith in Romans and Galatians.

Sermonic Title: "CHANGE"

Sermonic Sub-Title: Yes, HE can

Sermonic Structure:

I. CHRIST JESUS CHANGED PAUL (V. 13-14)
a. He changed Paul’s profession (my former life in Judaism…v13)
b. He changed Paul’s purpose (I was advancing in Judaism…v14)
c. He changed Paul’s passion (so extremely zealous was I…v14)

II. CHRIST JESUS CALLED PAUL (V. 15-20)
a. Consider the Genesis of the call (set me apart before I was born…v15)
b. Consider the Grace of the call (who called me by his grace…v15)
c. Consider the Goal of the call (that I might preach him…v16)

III. CHRIST JESUS COMMISSIONED PAUL (V. 21-24)
a. Paul shows us where he was preaching (Syria, Cilicia & Judea…v21-22)
b. Paul shows us to whom he was preaching (persons that are in Christ…v22)
c. Paul shows us what he was preaching (preaching the faith…v23)
d. Paul shows us how they responded to his preaching (they glorified God…v24)

2 comments:

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

I am throughly enjoying your journey through Galatians as it is helping me to preach from that book in the new year. Great as always!

Lance

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

While indeed you are blessing me with this study, my reaction is different than Pastor Lance, reading your study shows me more and more, I am not ready to tackle this great book. Great sermonic question and sentence.

Owens