Saturday, November 1, 2008

Biblical Software

Libronix Digital System is not all that I have. I have software other than “Libronix.” I have gone without literally my entire family and I have made great sacrifices just so that I could buy books. I would not be the serious student of biblical exposition that I am today if it were not for these sacrifices made. Currently I have close to a thousand books in my physical library which all happen to be in boxes in storage today do to the unfortunate fire that happen earlier this year to my beloved church “Rhema.”

That’s why I haven’t completed updating my digital library system on my blog. I am still trying to talk my wife into bringing my books home. Because unbelievably my books still have the smoke smell from the fire and I don’t know what to do to get the smoke smell out. Not to mention the books that I did lose in the fire.

Therefore, if it had not been for Biblical software I would not have the opportunity to do an adequate job of sermon preparation from week to week. Finally as a Senior Pastor for the past eleven years and a Gospel preacher for the past twenty one years, and someone who has to be ready to preach every week I’ve gone through quite a bit of study habits and routines. Therefore, for the serious student and the busy pastor and husband, father and Christian that I am I need my digital tools.

Here are some other biblical tools that I have and use every week that I did not mention. Bible Works/ Word Search/ Quick Verse/ Pradis/ The Interpreters Bible/ The Reformation History Library/ The Works of John Wesley/ The Early Church Fathers/ St. Thomas Aquinas and the Summa Theologica/The Tozer Digital Library/ Greek Tutor and Basic Biblical Greek just to name a few.

So forgive me, I’m a little sensitive right now because of the fire I don’t have access to my books as I am accustom.

NLT 2 Timothy 2:15 Work hard so God can approve you. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.

Sola Scriptura

Ron

4 comments:

Reginald C. Payne said...

Ron God be praised for your tremendous sacrifice and your families understanding you both are to be commended, I 'm full aware of the fire situation and we continue to pray for both you and Rhema. I have both books and digital software, some prefer the physical book in hand some don't the one advantage of books is you can highlight and mark in Christian living , auto biographys and other publication not your word studies or commentaries because if your like me your always trying to help someone who doesn't have the tools and even if your trying to photo copy the highlight can be a problem.Next the computer is the book with out the highlighting but if your building a research folder which one should the digital gives you advantage, if your on the road, transition relocation. I will say the computer is easier, but I use them both. Finally theres a lot more preparation with the books you have to pull evrything down you have on the passage paper clip it readand then type it because a research folder is key with books that means a paper file. Application changes but research doesn't so tomatoe to`matoe it's your choice but Ron I'm in agreement with your post.

Barry B. Severe said...

Ron, God be praised for the extensive library that you have been able to amass over the years. I engaged in a conversation this morning with my pastor, Pastor Payne and he's of the mindset that libronix is a necessary tool, and while not discounting the use of books in sermon preparation, he says that he uses Libronix and creates an electronic research file that he can refer back to later.

I do not discount Libronix as a great tool, and friend to the expository preacher, however I have found and I know that there are many other preachers that concur, Pastor Ticey Brown being one of them, that it is difficult to park yourself in front of a computer monitor for hours on end "reading" reference material to prepare for a sermon.

Also I would point out Ron as you very well know, thoughts from sermons are often birthed out of the books that we are currently reading, where we pick up on a thought by the author, and it germinates into a sermon. Please do not think that I am one of those preachers who refuses to cross over to the modern age of virtual research. because I use the computer quite extensively before and during my sermon preparation. But, I have to concur with Pastor Charles when he talks about the "parchments." Lets not become so technically savvy using Libronix, and all the other computer preaching aides, that we neglect to pick up a book evey now and then.

My heart goes out to you for the books lost in the fire. However, I would be remiss if I did not point out to you that is able to bless you with more books than you lost. Not to mention that he knew that there was going to be a fire, and preserved the books that he wanted you to have. Finally, about the "fire smell" that the books that weren't lost have, wont you try spraying them with Febreze! LOL

Love you man, and keep blogging!! I love this stuff!!!

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Ron,

Thanks for this post. I certainly appreciate the candor in which you spoke concerning your digital books and your printed books. Sorry to learn about the fire you sustained earlier this year at your church. I do pray that you will continue to press forward in your sermon preparations the best way you know how in the meantime. Personally, I use both digital books and printed depending on what I'm working on. I use Logos as well as Wordsearch both of which happen to be huge libraries, but I too have a lot of other books that I cannot count. Anyway, stay on the wall my brother. You are an encouragement to us all.

A Proud Fan

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Ronald, I commend you on the sacrifices that you have made to build up an impressive library for yourself. One of the things that my Pastor, Joe A. Carter taught me almost 13 years ago as I was preparing for my initial sermon, that the most important tool for a preacher is a great wealth of books. I remember one year when HB Charles came to Newark and we traveled to a bookstore in NYC, HB began to walk around the bookstore giving reviews of all kinds of books. It was so impressive that complete strangers were taking notes of what he was saying. One of the worst things I see is when I go visit another Pastor's office and the only books he has on his shelf is secular novels and self-help books. This is a post that all of us need to read.

Lance