Tuesday, December 2, 2008

HOW TO RESPOND TO GOD'S WORD

Sunday Sermon
November 30, 2008
Rhema Community Church

Sermonic Skeleton

Sermonic Scripture:

ESV James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

Sermonic Point:
The epistle of James is a practical guide for Christian living.

This pericope is a call to action.

Sermonic Sentence:
My active obedience to God’s word is true evidence that I know what the Bible teaches.

Sermonic Tension:
The human tendency is to hear the word of God and do absolutely nothing about what you have read and heard.

Don’t be a fool, you will answer to God for all the biblical teaching you have read and heard.

We are biblically (legally) accountable to God.

Sermonic Structure:

I. I AM TOO ACTIVELY LIVE IN PERPETUAL OBEDIENCE TO THE WORD OF GOD.

5 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Revun, this is good stuff. I am impressed by your commitment to exposition of the Word of God!

Reginald C. Payne said...

Ron great approach to the text, and for sure solid exposition keep up the work. Los Angeles is blessed to have you, I pray in 2009 you are spotted above the radar.

Fitts said...

Preacher,

I preached this passage a couple months ago, but bro, I would have loved to have set in on your exposition.

You are a great preacher, keep up the good work.

DeAntwan

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

We war with the ability to ALWAYS live according to God's word. Realizing that my pilgrim journey is a growth process, my aim is to be a doer and not a hearer only. My motivation and diligence is being aware that I will be held accountable to God for knowing, still there was no attempt to live by His word. Thank you Pastor for these challenging words. Very good Post.

Be blessed

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Elder!!!! The book of James is very dear to my heart. This mighty morsel of its contents is very tasty. Thanks for being a true soldier of the cross.