Monday, March 30, 2009

My Secret Weapon

Sunday Sermon
March 29, 2009
Rhema Community Church

Sermonic Skeleton

Sermonic Scripture: ESV Ephesians 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Sermonic Subject: Spiritual Warfare

Sermonic Theme: Prayer

Sermonic Sentence: I’m alive today because someone is praying for me!

NIV Exodus 17:12 When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up-- one on one side, one on the other-- so that his hands remained steady till sunset.

ESV Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

NLT Acts 12:5 But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed very earnestly for him.

Sermonic Tension: What do I do when the saints forget to pray for me?
(I pray for myself.) Prayer goes down in warfare, goes up in worship and goes out in works.

ESV Luke 22:42 saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."

NIV Acts 16:25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

NIV 2 Corinthians 12:7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

Sermonic Background: PRAYER for the Christian, prayer is a lifestyle (1 Thessalonians 5.15-18 “pray without ceasing”). Prayer should involve the whole person: mind, will and emotion. Prayer is not a magical way of grabbing goodies, for it is more a way of asking God to give you what He wants than demanding from Him what you want. God uses prayer to teach us to depend on Him and to tune our desires and wishes to His will Christians should pray in Christ Jesus name (Matthew 7.7-11; John 16.23-24; 15.7,16). There are two kinds of prayers “my will be done” or “thy will be done”.

Sermonic Structure:

I. PRAYING SAINTS ARE MY SECRET WEAPON
a. They are praying at all times in the Spirit
b. They are praying with all prayer and supplication
c. They are praying for all the saints

II. PRAYING STRATEGICALLY IS MY SECRET WEAPON
a. Pray for me to use God's word with precision
b. Pray for me to proclaim the gospel with power
c. Pray for me while I'm in prison
d. Pray for me to speak politically

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Ron....man this is rich. What a great reminder of the powerful weaponary we have through prayer.

Thanks for the reminder.

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Rev,

Well lets be clear rev, if someone didn't know, after this sermon, THE SECRET IS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep running,

Owens

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Ron,

God has truly blessed you with a tremendous preaching gift!

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Great preaching! What a word! Thank you for sharing this.