Monday, February 8, 2010

A Hand Written Letter

Sunday Sermon
February 7th 20X
Rhema Community Church

Sermonic Skeleton:

Sermonic Pericope: ESV Galatians 6:11-18 See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand. 12 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh who would force you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 For even those who are circumcised do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And as for all who walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. 17 From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen.

Sermonic Theme: Saved & Set Free (The Doctrine of Justification)

Sermonic Subject: Saved by faith alone not works.

Sermonic Tension: Those who want to make a good showing in the flesh. (Circumcision or the Cross)

Sermonic Literary Device: Metalepsis; or, Double Metonymy (Two Metonymies, one contained in the other but only one expressed.)

Sermonic Question: What causes you to boast? (Notice apostle Paul is not boasting in the event of the cross or the emblem of the cross moreover Paul is boasting in the effects of the cross.)

Sermonic Sentence: Have you read the letter God has preserved for you?

Sermonic Title: “A Hand Written Letter”

Sermonic Structure:

I. This Letter is Personal (V.11)
A. It shows Paul’s Commitment
B. It shows Paul’s Congregation
C. It shows Paul’s Character

II. This Letter is Purposeful (V.12-13)
A. Christians are being persecuted

III. This Letter is Preserved (V.14-18)
A. For its message
B. For its meaning
C. For mankind

2 comments:

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Yes sir reverend, yes sir

You can be still. I will run for you after that one. You probably need the rest anyway.

Owens

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Doctor!! I think I will steal this one. lol. Great post as always.

Your Fan In South Bend